Followers

Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Groningen

Our next stop was a town called Groningen.  Over half the population travels to school and work by bike according to the travel book......and I believe it!  Bikes everywhere......so I took one out from our hotel and rode with the locals.  It is  home to a university founded in 1614, which is on the right above.
On the left is the train station.
We stayed  for 5 nights so I got pretty comfortable riding around the town.
This garden is called Prinsenhof  it has a sundial from 1730 and is still laid out the same as it was in the 18th century.

Sadly, the huge museum in town was closed for renovations :0(
It stands on a island in the 19th century Verbindingskanaal ( canal)...the museum opened in 1994 and I wonder why it already needs renovations?

2 comments:

Hazel said...

Thanks for sharing I feel like I'm on the trip with you .

Shirley said...

What a beautiful place! I love old buildings.. by old I mean built in the 1600s-1700s. Bikes are awesome. I wish we could learn to use them more in North America to cut down on pollution. But a lot of our cities are too large unfortunately. Thanks for sharing.