Followers

Saturday, September 1, 2012

Salley Mavor

Salley Mavor signing her books.


To see more of these images look at Salley Mavor's blog, her work is just amazing!

Not only is each bird life size, but the background twigs are made of felt covered wire complete with embroidery that look like lichens and bumps adding texture that bark really has.  It was just wonderful to be able to see these birds in real life.

I got to see Salley Mavor at the Mahopac Library this week!  She gave a wonderful talk about her craft starting as a child.  She credits her parents for allowing her to make as much mess doing art as she wanted and for creating " a home full of art, music, and dance".
She said something that really touched me as a someone who also loves to sew and create.
"I need to do this creative work it is so tied to my well being;  I just have to do it!"
Do you ever have time when you can't sew or create?  I  have a physical yearning  to get back to it when I have to be away from my sewing machine.  I really understand what she is saying!
Needless to say I am a huge fan!

Salley took the time to talk to each person that wanted to ask her a question, or to have a book signed.  She drew an adorable picture in her book " Pocketful of Posies" for me to give to my granddaughter.

I hope you take sometime to visit her blog and look at her lovely stitchery .

Happy Sewing, Kim

 

2 comments:

Barb said...

her work is absolutely amazing.
I've been reading her blog for a while. Being a big bird lover, I'm just so amazed by how life like her work is - lovely! lucky you to have met her

Quilt Rat said...

OH MY GAWD!!!!!! this work is absolutely SPECTACULAR! I have never seen anything like it.

PHENOMENAL